From:
bill fernihough <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 1995 21:50:00 PDT
>Ok - This may sound dumb to you experienced folks - but this novice beekeeper
>just bought 50 deeps for a good price that have experienced rather heavy wax
>moth damage.  The wood is still good but the comb is shot.  Some(a few) adult
>moths were noticed when I inspected the equipment before sale.  Most of the
>damage had already been done.  I didnt see any larvae. Question - am I asking
>for serious trouble if I bring this equipment home (to my uninfested apiary)
>to clean and refurbish?  What safeguards can I take to knock out these moths
>in a big hurry.  Is the better question "when will I have trouble with
>moths"? rather than "will I ever have trouble with them?".  Is any apiary
>immune?  Please help, guys and gals.
>Steve Davis
>Clackamas Co. Oregon

Steve, I would keep those away from my own hives till winter.  Leave them
outside and let the moths do their work.  They have started it they may as
well finish it.  Then clean the frames, buy some plastic cell foundatiion
inserts, and thats the end of your problems, mostly.  If you keep the moths
away from your hives, till cold weather, the cold, freezing that is, will
kill the moths, the larvae, and the eggs.  Then its safe to bring them to
your beeyard.  Other wise, you'll have a big problem.

Bill Fernihough  HONEY is sweeter then wine.