Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2013 20:04:52 -0700
 > I would be interested to see some evidence that supers placed on too
 > early causes harm, I don't know of any.

No evidence, but observation.  Also, there has to be an reason we don't
winter out hives with the honey supers on. (Dee does, but that is Arizona).

Just sayin', but I get the impression most beekeepers figure September
is too early, so when would be better?  October? ...

 > That isn't to say I disagree, but i do admit to being skeptical that

anyone really understands heat dynamics in the honey bee colony.

Agreed, but one does not have to "really" understand to get the basics,
like put a lid on the hive and don't winter in a wind tunnel.  From
there, the details get more contentious, but generally more heat
conservation is better in cool weather as long as moisture and CO2 are
controlled.

 > Another thing that I doubt is that bees "get discouraged" if you add
 > a bunch of supers at once.

Not discouraged, but weakened maybe if the cluster loses too much heat
during maximum brooding.