From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Oct 2011 10:35:53 -0500
hello All,
I might also add that in my comments to the national group that *if* they
wanted to process before shipping they *could* remove all the GMO pollen.

I pointed out that most honey sold by the largest packers has the pollen
removed by pressure filtering.

I was surprised none had considered filtering out the GMO pollen.

All quickly agreed (as I had done) that filtering out the GMO pollen would
add such a cost that the higher price paid by the U.K. would be lost.

I have toured a few of the largest processors and it would be hard for
pollen not to be filtered out. Pollen was said to hasten crystallization.

The whole GMO pollen stand by the U.K. is a gray area and considered by many
protectionist issue more than a health issue.

People in the U.S. & Canada have been consuming GMO for years without proof
of health issues arising *so far*.

The big issue in farm country is if GMO has been worth the cost paid to big
ag.  The start up price for farmers using GMO and other Big Ag products are
a starting point cost
and continually increasing it seems.

Big Ag (Monsanto, Bayer & others) never loose out. Never risk loss.
Their costs are similar to entry costs in a poker game.

Promises of increased yields are enticing in spring for farmers but are
based on a normal year. All we have seen the last decade are extremes.
drought or too wet. Many farmers say to me they wished the cost to attempt
raising a crop of corn or beans was lower which in turn would lower risk.
With the average being one big crop in four poor to average the profits are
lowered dramatically by the start up costs on the three poor to average.

Farm seed & chemicals are a very large part of the farm production dollar.

Using seed from your own crop would save big bucks and basically ended when
GMO came on the scene. Looking back many farmers believe roundup ready & GMO
to now be a rip off.

Maybe when these farmers tell me the above they are simply letting off
steam. I am a beekeeper not a row crop farmer. I do come from a family of
large row crop farmers from Kansas. Those farmers loved roundup ready & GMO
at the start.

bob