From:
Peter John Keating <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter John Keating <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 11:51:59 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven A. Davis" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>

> Hey Folks,
> I thought I would ask if anyone on the Bee-L has had extensive experience
> with bees being snowed in for long periods.

Hi Steve,  welcome to the club. Here in northern Quebec most of my 350 hives
stay outside all winter,cosily wrapped in the "Western Four Pack" as used in
Alberta etc. The snow comes just before Christmas and stays until mid
April.Some years the hives are very well covered with snow and the
temperatures go down to minus 40oC. Today it's minus 30oC and with the chill
factor it's minus 51oC. The bees are fine, once buried in the snow they have
a good insulation from the cold.Usually the hot air that escapes from the
top entrance of the hives makes an air chimney through the snow, and the
heat that escapes around the pack melts the snow close to the hives. I have
wintered for over 15 years in four packs and have never had any excessive
losses. Here most beekeepers winter indoors, but it's another expense and
more moving of hives. I would think that Allen will have some advice on this
matter.
Peter