From:
RICHARD BARNES <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 1997 09:57:17 -0500
Patrick Barnes--14 yrs. old -- VP of SW Oklahoma Beekeepers Assoc.
3rd place White Extracted Honey

Sanner Barnes--10 yrs old-- Member SW Oklahoma Beekeepers Assoc.
1st place White Extracted Honey
(only top ten displayed so I don't know how many entries)

Strange year, no dark honey produced except in the top bar hives --Started
hive in June and no surplus yet.

Yes this is a father bragging.

In the County Fair the rolls were reversed with Patrick 1st and Sanner 2nd
(out of 4 entries).

There is a discussion of State Fair Honey judging techniques.  The above
honey was extracted at the same time and came out of the setteling tank one
right after the other and the judges at two contests placed them different.
I personally feel that as long as you exhibit a product that you are proud
of, the placing is irrelevant.  It's a kick to get first, but the kids were
just as proud last year with a 4th and a 5th on the light honey and 3rd and
8th on the dark.  As I tell the kids, do your best and don't be upset by a
placing, bee proud that their is competition and learn from every experience.

Richard Barnes