From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2007 13:01:43 -0400
I found this excerpt interesting....

"A number of agricultural crops are almost totally dependent on honey bee
pollination (90-100%), including almonds, apples, avocados, blueberries, cranberries,
cherries, kiwi fruit, macadamia nuts, asparagus, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, celery,
cucumbers, onions, legume seeds, pumpkins, squash, and sunflowers. "

asparagus, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, celery and onions? really?

"Other specialty crops also rely on honey bee pollination, but to a lesser degree.  These crops
include apricot, citrus (oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruit, tangerines, etc.), peaches,
pears, nectarines, plums, grapes, brambleberries, strawberries, olives, melon
(cantaloupe, watermelon, and honeydew), peanuts, cotton, soybeans, and sugarbeets."

grapes, soybeans and sugar beets?

am I missing something here, I'm under the impression that the crops I listed are all wind or non-
bee pollinated and would have no impact if bees were not available. or perhaps the seed
production of some of  these rely on bees?

if so do some beekeepers provide bees for seed production?  news to me