From:
charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 2014 09:26:21 -0600
We explored the impact of coumaphos and fluvalinate, the two most abundant
and frequently detected pesticides in the hive, on genome-wide gene
expression patterns of honey bee workers. We found significant changes in
1118 transcripts, including genes involved in detoxification, behavioral
maturation, immunity, and nutrition.

  Its good and interesting research,  with a couple of flaws and caveats.
One major one is the prevalence of fluvinates and Cumaphos.  Yes I am aware
of the study that shows they are major.  But that study is one small
snapshot.   If you look close at commercial hives its probably correct.  If
you look overall and nation wide, you will find a lot less prevalence of
these chemicals.  It was an interesting study but it should have just been a
start.

Secondly these genome changes are nothing but a short snapshot of time.  The
bee is killed to get it.  and it's a quick change as Professor Robinson
showed.   A bigger key to be learned yet is "How long"?   I would surely
expect changes in the above mentioned transcripts,  quite regularly in fact.
Every time something is not right.  I am betting money that a simple act of
smoking the bees has the same effects.  But for how long??  Changes in these
areas that are short lived may be 100% normal.  We might see the same
reasdtions from some pollen types. (those known to be bad for bees for
example)

We must be careful in looking at reports and research and be sure we are not
fooling ourselves with a giant game of Marco polo.

AS mentioned though I am sure good nutrition is helpful and always a good
plan.  The question is what is proper nutrition for a bee, and how are we a
part of that picture?

Charles