From:
Harry Goudie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 20:44:47 +0100
-----Original Message-----
From: Jean-Pierre LE PABIC <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 30 April 1999 15:11
Subject: Re: Varroa Resistant Honey Bees

>Adrian Wenner a écrit:
>
>> In Santa Barbara proper, we now have good survival of feral colonies ---
>> obviously without treatment>>
>>                                                         Adrian
>
>On my opinion, survival of honey bees colonies in varroa infested area may
be
>due to at least two reasons :
>1 - bees are resistant
>2 - they live in conditions that allow them to survive to varroa mites

I like the idea of the mites falling through spaces in the bottom of the
hive but I wonder if it may be possible that the feral colonies are
surviving because of swarming.  One of the differences between a feral and
domestic colony is that the latter is managed to prevent swarming.  If the
swarm clusters for any length of time it may be that the temperature inside
the cluster is sufficiently high to either kill or at least make the varroa
uncomfortable and fall off.  The swarm may then start off in a new site with
comparatively few varroa.
I read somewhere about a man who had a swarm land on his head.  One of his
comments when asked about his experience later was that it was very hot
inside the swarm!
Harry
http://www.luichartwoollens.freeserve.co.uk