Date:
Sun, 10 Mar 2013 16:43:08 -0600
>> The bees took a sudden and rather aggressive interest in my
>> presence. I've been buzzed like that before, and knew enough to get
>> back.

> I have (generally) good tempered bees where I can walk through
> apiaries without getting attacked.

Anyone who spends enough time with bees will know that nothing can be
assumed, especially in regard temper.  In 1,000 or 10,000 approaches to
hives, one occasion may well bring on a big and unpleasant surprise. A
wise beekeeper never approaches a hive or lifts a lid without a retreat
planned, consciously or unconsciously.

I have seen full strength hives that I normally worked half-naked with
almost no smoke act so aggressive on another day that I was unable to
get anywhere the yard near without suiting up.  A few hours later, they
were as tame as kittens.

In the case cited, I wonder if the bees were being aggressive (I'm not
saying they weren't) or just looking for a warm place to land.