From:
Richard E Leber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jul 1998 20:11:06 -0500
Hi Greg,

You're looking at purchasing your first uncapping knife and need some
advice .....

What ever your final choice, bee sure that the operating temperature is
adjustable!  A few extra bucks ... yes but, worth the investment in your
end product.  The idea is to warm the wax to make it easier to uncap not
to meltdown the comb and scorch the honey.  Your 'honey house'
temperature and humidity along with the moisture content of the honey and
the age of the comb will be factors in adjusting the thermostat.  I keep
a damp cloth at hand during uncapping to cool the blade when necessary
and to remove the honey if is caramelizes on the blade.

Personal preference, I choose the standard 10" electric with the
adjustable control.  The length allows the blade to be guided by the top
and bottom bars which produces a smooth even cut in one pass on each
side.  I you space the frames at 8 or 9 in your honey supers there will
be little need or no need for a cappings scratcher (better used as a
cappings pick).

Rick Leber
Beekeeping and Honey Production Since 1987
Mobile, 'Sweet Home Alabama'

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]