Date:
Sat, 20 May 2017 00:30:54 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
" what would happen if
 formic acid was sublimated together with OA dihydrate?"

Formic acid boils at almost the same temperature as water.  So, if you put a mix of oxalic acid and formic acid in a sublimer the formic would boil off with the water of hydration from the oxalic acid and then at a considerably higher temp the oxalic acid would sublime.

This would be like a flash formic acid treatment combined with a sublimed oxalic acid treatment.  I would think the formic acid might well get at mites under cappings.  I would also think the dose would be pretty critical to avoid excessive harm to bees, larva and the queen, yet still enough to kill mites.  If it did all that I am not sure why you would need the oxalic acid.  But, I suppose it could be possible the right combination could be more effective than just treating with either component alone.  I am not aware of anyone who has tried some combination.  For example it would be easy enough to treat with MAQS or one of the home brewed formic acid flash treatments and also sublime oxalic acid at the same visit and see if any positive results were obtained versus either alone.

Dick

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2