From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 2009 13:32:51 -0700
Hi Bob,

I'm in agreement with you on your almond assessment.

The only question is the degree of final glut.  It may not have been as high
as reported earlier, since beekeepers were scrambling to fill contracts at
the last moment, and there were no more bees advertised in the Modesto Bee.
Please realize that many colonies are not moved into late-blooming varieties
until late in February.

Prices in some areas were also higher--$160 was fairly common for 7 frame
guarantee.

The weather differences this year between north and south valley were huge.
80F in south while cold and rainy in north.  I checked my north valley yards
this week, fearing starvation, but happily found them to be full of pollen
and heavy enough.  They had shut down brood rearing substantially, though.

Randy Oliver