From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 12:07:11 EDT
                        * MEMORANDUM *

 TO:       Beekeepers

 FROM:     Aaron Morris

 DATE:     September 25, 1996

 SUBJECT:  IBUPROFEN

                       REPRINTED FROM:
      MISSISSIPPI DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE AND COMMERCE
                   BUREAU OF PLANT INDUSTRY
                        P.O. BOX 5207
                    MISSISSIPPI STATE, MS
                         APRIL, 1993

 The following is an interesting and need-to-know article
 printed in the Maryland Beekeeping newsletter with the per-
 mission of the author.  It is taken from the book "Under-
 standing Prescription Drugs", by Dorthy L. Smith, Pharm D.,
 pp. 270 and 271; Reference: British Medical Journal 292:378,
 1986.

                      DID YOU KNOW THAT?

 Beekeepers should think twice before taking some anti-
 inflammatory drugs. The drugs may reverse their immunity to
 bee stings.

 During the last few years, several new nonsteroidal anti-
 inflammatory drugs have been developed to relieve pain and
 reduce stiffness, swelling and joint pain associated with
 inflammation. Such drugs include ibuprofen, fenoprofen,
 naproxen, ketoprofen, sulindac, piroxicam, suprofen and
 tolmetin.

 It is well known that beekeepers develop an immunity to bee
 stings and it has been reported that some people get tempo-
 rary relief from the pain of arthritis if they sustain se-
 veral bee stings. Two cases have recently been reported of
 people with an immunity to bee stings taking a nonsteroidal
 anti-inflammatory drug and suffering serious allergic re-
 actions to bee and wasp stings.

 A 66-year old beekeeper had developed an apparent immunity
 to bee stings over six years. She was prescribed a
 nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug for osteoarthrosis. A
 few months after taking the drug, she was stung on the
 wrists while working around the beehives and within 15 min-
 utes developed heart palpitations, a rash and swelling of
 the mouth and tounge, making it difficult for her to breath.
 She stopped taking the drug and 48 hours later when she was
 stung again, she developed no reaction.

 Another report describes the 48-year old wife of a beekeeper
 who had been taking a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug
 for five months for osteoarthritis. She had previously had
 only skin reactions to wasp stings but one day she developed
 widespread swelling, red, itchy rash, heart palpitations and
 shortness of breath within two minutes of being stung by a
 wasp. Hospitalization was necessary.

 Until more is learned about the reason for these reactions,
 beekeepers should be aware of potential hazards associated
 with these drugs and bee stings.

             >----   End of Article   ----<

I haven't seen anything related since this was published, but until I
do, I avoid the new fangled pain killers and stick to good old asprin.
No, I'm not an old fart stuck in my ways, just sticking with a tried
and true (since the Romans) remedy.  I'm 42 and figure why tempt fate?

Good luck!
Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!