Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 2010 18:48:48 GMT
>>Yes, it does, but does not seem to hurt them, and I suspect it may even benefit them in this cold, dry climate.  It is to the side and not overhead.  ...although the frame wood does darken.
Do you have a top entrance for ventilation?  This amount of water would seem to indicate not.  I used to get a lot of water (although not as much as you) on the outer frames, too.  Used to result in mold growth on the outer combs.  Especially in the pollen combs.  The bees would then have to cut out entire comb sections to remove the spoiled pollen in the spring.  Such a waste.  Has not been the same since I started using top entrances.
I prefer hives on the drier side.  I supply water in the hives in the 2nd half of the winter only to reduce the need for water flights in borderline weather.
Waldemar