From:
John & Julie Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 12:05:31 -0500
Aaron,

>It exceeds "redness, swelling and pain" which is what the original poster
>agreed was an allergic reaction.  My first post on this topic asserted
>"redness, swelling and pain" is normal, to be expected, and often
>misdiagnosed as a true allergic reaction.<

My point as "first poster" was exactly the same as yours ... most people who
claim allergy to insect stings are describing a  normal physiological
reaction to stings.  (And most physicians find it does little good to try to
educate them that it IS NOT an allergic reaction.)  But if someone describes
associated hives, breathing difficulty, palpitations, etc it is hard not to
err on the side of discretion; i.e., prescribe EpiPen or antihistamines.
Such symptoms may after all just be a result of anxiety or exaggerated pain
response but there certainly is such a thing as true anaphylaxis reactions.
As has been accurately pointed out many times here on the list, it is very
difficult to predict when a reaction will proceed to life-threatening shock
and when it will stop at annoying hives.

As to why some seem to have variable reactions .... hives and a more severe
reaction once; then never again .... Allergists make their living trying
usually with no success to determine why.  Often we are left with only a
"combination of factors" theory.

John Mayer
West-Cenral Missouri