From:
kirk jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 May 2009 21:57:16 -0700
Hi all,

I built a tank to dip a whole pallets of knocked down boxes last year and we all are very
pleased with the results. I'll have to send Randy some pics for his upcoming article. We used to use barrels with band heaters. That was nasty to work over with the vapors and the band heaters would burn out. Too much work.

I made ours with fork holes so we can move it around when it is not in use. It is double walled and I filled the 1 inch walls with cooking oil so I don't have to drain it in the winter. We wrapped the unit with
reflectix aluminum backed bubble wrap so we can use it outdoors in cold weather. The dimensions of the unit is about 5 feet by 4 feet by 4 1/2 feet high or so. We also used the reflectix to make a top cover for our dip tank.

I set it up with three one inch female thread holes to accomodate 3 Kelly 220 volt immersion heaters. It turned out that two are good to keep the temp up, so we will keep the third in for a backup.

I had a cradle built of expanded steel with a bar that we can grab with a forklift to put the wood in and take it out. We let it drip for a bit before we pull it away from the tank. The wax pulls into the wood.
Don't let them sit in too long or the moisture will all get driven out and the wood will  get brittle when stapled or nailed. We staple.

We are using paraffin and copper that we buy from Mann Lake. It's a concentrate.

Can we put pics in the Bee-L?

 Kirk Jones

Sleeping Bear Farms   beekeepers making honey...
Benzie Playboys           cajun and zydeco band........