From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2015 15:07:27 -0600
Does anyone know of any verification of such huge populations
by actual weighing of the bees?

One of the things your asking is for someone whos awful proud of the huge hive,  is to go and shake out and weigh or possible kill off the hive.   Not common for people to have the equipment or desire to do.

If I get a chance this year and find a huge one( I normally split long before then)  I will shake one out and weigh them for you.  If anyone has a hive near me and wants it done on their hive let me know.  It can be done easily without harming the hive.   I would shake them into a box,  weight them and then put them back.

The key is finding the queen first so shes not harmed,  and I can tell you in huge hives that is often the biggest hurdle.

Charles