From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 1996 06:38:56 -0600
> A BREAKTHROUGH INVENTION THAT WILL AFFECT THE HONEY PRODUCTION AND
> THE IMMEDIATE AND LONG TERM HEALTH OF THE BEES...

My understanding is that slow release of formic has negative effects
on honey production compared to quick release.  Of course, YMMV, and
perhaps sufficient tests have not been run to establish this without a
doubt. I also thought I understood that mature varroa are a reddish
brown, not black.

At any rate, any device which is proven to provide successful control
of varroa *economically* without diminishing honey production and
requiring repeat visits to apiaries is likely to be a boon.  Such a
device would have to be very inexpensive to be of commercial use.

The current fashion in formic treatment in Canada has moved towards
using 'Mite Wipes' which are apparenty just the soaker pads used in
the bottom of retail meat trays in supermarkets.  The pads are
enclosed in plastic which is perforated slightly on the one side
(which is placed on the top bars). Overall size is about 7" X 4" and
the pad itself is about 6" X 3".  Thickness is about 1/8".

A suitable number of pads are arranged in a pail and an appropriate,
measured amount of formic added.  The pail is lidded, and left
overnight.  In the morning, the formic has distributed itself through
the pads and they can be applied with tongs or gloves to the hives.
Cost?  about 2 cents each plus the cost of formic.  Danger of spills
and fumes etc. is greatly reduced, as the liquid is not handled
directly.

Release is quite quick, and there is no problem with acid getting on
the bees or running out the door, assuming some care is used to smoke
the bees down a bit, and that there is room over the top bars for such
a pad.

Application can be repeated as many times as necessary, but less than
four seems inadequate for varroa.  The spacing of the treatments can
vary form 5 to 10 days, apparently without much impact on results, and
recent news is that the formic can be applied with good effect any
time of day, as long as the bees are not clustered.

Recent results in Canada (unpublished) indicate that formic is
noticably less effective than even one stip of Apistan in
controlling varroa, particularly in cases where infestations exceed
10% by alcohol wash measurement.

We have not used formic or Apistan, so this is not first hand info.  I
am of the school of thought that one must monitor closely and not use
controls until tests indicate a need.  The cure can be worse than an
(unproven) affliction.  We have the acid, we have the pads, we just
don't (yet) see the levels of mites to justify application.