From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 May 2008 05:41:20 -0400
Hello Brian & All,
Its always good to have a plan B. I looked into native pollinators a
decade ago as a possible replacement for honey bees(documented in archives)

After several years of research I learned many things not pointed out by
the USDA-ARS in Utah when I started.

The article was on target but only touched lightly on why the project will
have poor results in large areas or row crops.

The*if its not a crop either spray it or disc it*mentality will be hard to
change.

I had to chuckle at the sitting a block of wood on a fence post with holes
drilled and the first season half the holes were filled with native
pollinators.

Protecting our native pollinators is a good thing but native pollinators
will never be able to replace honey bees due to the numbers needed in
large areas of crops. The main reason ( not brought up in artticle) is
that in some crops the weather is so bad during pollination that the
pollination all takes place on an afternoon or two even though thousands
of hives have been in the field for weeks.
In perfect weather with a long bloom native pollinators might compete.
Mason bees have got parasite issues never spoke of by those pushing mason
bees.

bob