From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2007 07:05:15 -0800
Jim said:
> You and Peter can argue that one out, as you seem to be able
> to disagree with him without being so disagreeable.

Great idea, Jim!  Perhaps it works, since Pete and I (an many others) enjoy
a mutually educational discussion without personal attacks, such as your jab
below:

> But you seem to want to, once again, claim some sort
> of special insight that is somehow superior to the general
> consensus,

Sorry, if you're looking for a fight, but I'm not biting.  I'm on the
learning curve on everything, which is one reason that I follow this List.
It never occurred to me that I had "special insight"  that it was the
somatic DNA that codes for disease resistance--I thought that was common
knowledge.

Also not special insight that Nature is extremely conservative with genes,
and doesn't tend to drop them.  They just tend to stay in the genome, but
don't get read, or or are read differently, so as not to be expressed in the
same manner.  Look at the atavisms in humans--people are occassionally born
with fangs (nothing personal, Jim), tails, hairy bodies, etc.  That is
because we all still carry those genes--they just don't normally get
expressed.  However, as soon as a selective pressure is applied that would
make expression of those genes beneficial, they are waiting there in
reserve.

Ditto with the genes that scutellata uses for mite control.  The subspecies
was likely "preadapted" before the mite arrived (not my idea or term, but
can't remember the source). If the genes used came from a common ancestor
with the EHB, then those genes are likely hiding in the genome, and can be
selected for--a process that appears to be occurring in a number of places
in the EHB worldwide population.

I apologize sincerely to the List if I have come off as feeling superior!
I'm simply enjoying the learning experience that I am engaged in, and am
happy to share what I've learned for the benefit of all.   I've got nothing
to prove, and enjoy being politely corrected--indeed I implore readers to
share contrary information with me, either on list, or privately.

Randy Oliver