Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2013 09:30:27 -0600
> Thank you Medhat, for the suggestion of the toothpick hole--it is a
> huge improvement!

I must confess that I knew its purpose, but have not used it as I didn't
happen to have toothpicks handy

I can see how toothpicks would allow the strips to hang straighter than
the tabs, and the instructions are that the bees should be able to walk
on both sides.  If one side is pressed against the comb, as can be the
case with side thrust from the tab being on one side, that does not happen.

Mention was also made of using ten-frame spacing and I have noticed this
to be an issue at times. The strips may contact the comb in some cases
and I would assume this increases chemical transfer to wax over a
centred strip. I also see the bees mine out the comb on both sides to
maintain bee pace, or sometimes wax up the strips on one side. (bad).

I am wondering if I should pull one frame for the duration of treatment
and widen spacing a bit.  In my 40+ years of bee-keeping, I have run
both nine and ten frame spacing and never seen any difference between
hives when doing so.

With ten-frame spacing, I am seeing any slight bowing in a frame means
bald spots.  With nine-frame spacing that was never a problem.

I can see ten-frame as being worthwhile in singles, but in doubles,
there is no advantage IMO.  (I frankly cannot see how those who shave
frames to get eleven in a box manage -- or what the point might be).

Anyhow, I plan to pay more attention to the spacing and also carry
toothpicks.  Wal-Mart sells nice round dispenser with round toothpicks
for a dollar or so.

---

Allen Dick
Swalwell, Alberta, Canada
51°33'37.58"N  113°18'54.24"W
Semi-retired - 40+ years keeping bees - 4500 hives max
Currently running 20 to 100 hives
Hives for sale year-round
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/