From:
Dave Pehling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 1994 19:38:01 PDT
RE:  Eating Bee Brood

I have eaten bee brood several times and find it delicious!  Very like
very tiny, sweet shrimp!  By the way, shrimp and crabs would think nothing
of feeding on a rotting corpse, while baby bees are fed only the finest
honey and pollen.  I find it interesting to explore various food sources
that are all around us and wonder if world hunger would be less of a
problem if more people would have more of an adventurous spirit about
new foods.  (This, from someone who absolutely REFUSED to eat raw tomatos
as a child!)

I prefer my bee brood lightly fried in oil and mixed with vegetables.  One
dish I've made is "Peas & Bees" - very tasty.

A word of caution, however... I have read that bee larvae are very high in
a particular vitamin and could possibly be toxic if consumed in large
quantities. (So are raw garden peas, for that matter.)

The biggest problem with bee brood as a food source is removing the tasty
morsels from their snug little cells.  I have seen a video of someone
removing drone larvae from a comb with a fine jet of water but have not
tried it myself.  I usually pick my own "brood-for-food" out of burr comb
I scrape off while working my hives.

Give it a try...you'll like it!

Cheers,
Dave Pehling

  | W.S.U./SNOHOMISH CO. COOPERATIVE EXTENSION |
  | 600 128TH ST. S.E.                         |
  | EVERETT, WA.  98208  U.S.A.                |
  |PHONE - (206)338-2400                       |
  |FAX   - (206)338-3994                       |
  |INTERNET  [log in to unmask]         |