Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 2015 23:05:14 -0500
.........That was from testing several batches in sugar first,  then switching to the alcohol.  Always picked up more mites.......

I have never done both ways, but as was mentioned earlier here, about 1/3 of the mites are dislodged with sugar. Because I sample 300 bees, I accept that count as being mites per 100 bees.  Does that seem logical?

.........You mention 1/3  and bees crawling back in the hive.   My guess is you don’t shake as hard as I did.  ......

My sample is done as a sugar ROLL.  I place my sample of 300 in the jar (telling them it is just like going to Six Flaggs Great America) and roll them with the sugar for 45 seconds.  I then set them aside for 45 seconds followed by another 45 second roll.  Next I shake the mites from the jar.  I don't know just how accurate this is, but I try for reliability and consistency.  That allows me to compare hives and to note changes over time.  It does not seem to bother the bees greatly.

I have tried an ether roll.  After reading Jerry's comments I don't think I'll got back to it.  He makes a good point.  Sugar is my thing.

Larry Krengel