From:
Jose Villa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2018 19:37:41 -0700
My wife and I were talking today about a recent exchange with a person
at the end of a meeting we convened of all the beekeepers we know in
our small town in the San Luis Valley of Colorado.  The idea was to
share experiences about what to do for bears, varroa mites, cold
winters, short growing season.  It is a difficult beekeeping
environment and the area right now is a net importer of bees, for both
hobbyists who do not migrate and for commercials who do not overwinter
here.  Curiously few seem to be very cued into the damaging effects of
varroa.  This person was fairly assertive that Africanized bees are
very strong bees and that we need some of that genetics.  Since we have
experience with AHB colonies we were a bit taken aback by this
statement.  So it got us wondering from where does this fairly
generalized idea arise?  Are we dealing with solid information, backed
by experiments and experience, or is it largely founded on myths and
beliefs perpetuated in the information age?  Clearly Africanized bees
are successful feral bees, but that is different from having documented
defenses against varroa.