From:
Roger Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2010 13:53:27 -0500

>On a cold, wet day like today, can simply do as Bob does, and shake bees
out
on the ground.
>Or can shake into soapy water.
>Or cyanide if you have--probably not legal any more.
>Some beeks use lacquer thinner to fumigate, then allow to air out--also
probably not legal.

Hi Randy and All;

Thank you for this info.  I am curious what others might suggest.  I have
never purposely killed a hive (I have always relied on my innate ability to
kill them with my management skills alone...) In this day and age, and as
has been suggested here, dealing with pest and disease is as much a local
thing as "beekeeping" in general.  I had not really embraced that thought
completely until now. Not only are your bees unique in their genetics, but
so is every other thing alive in your hives.  My bees aren't yours, and your
mites aren't mine and our weather isn't Randy's. It's not just a weather
thing anymore that makes beekeeping "local".

Roger Wood
Independence. Mo. - "Killing bees... my way."