From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2007 07:57:05 -0400
Dave Cushman wrote:

> You have to ensure that both nature and you are pulling in the same
> direction, by generating selection criteria that are known to be
> achievable against the background population (which you must record,
> investigate and measure), your selection criteria must take into
> account what can be done rather than reaching for the moon. You have
> to start with what you have already and can sensibly introduce.
I had a wonderful survivor colony which I dubbed the "Colony that would
not die". The only problem with it was it produced zero honey. I left it
alone since it did provide a nice genetic base, but all it did was
spread the low honey production, not survival.

As Dave notes, we often select for the bee we want and not the bee that
will do well in our area. If we want a bee that does not mesh with the
area (something we really have trouble knowing), we have to shift from
what George Imire called BEEHAVERS (he loved caps) to beekeepers. In
essence, we are managers of the bee we want and not necessarily the bee
that would do best as a feral. The only way to have a colony that does
mesh with the area is to leave it alone. Generally, they die.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine