From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2007 13:48:10 EDT
Bob

No, I'm not talking about Lance, nor many of the folks with  CCD problems
last year.  Despite wishful thinking, Lance and  Hackenberg aren't the only
beekeepers with these problems.

We've a new group of failing colonies in operations that did not have the
problem last year, as well as at least two repeats.

And, I just got an urgent phone call.  Another east coast operation  going
down, hundreds of colonies lost.  And, many of these were in the  Dakotas
earlier in the year.

Your don't tell advice to beekeepers is fine, if you don't want  to find a
solution.  Failing operations need to be sampled if we are  ever to resolve this
thing.

I agree with a need for confidentiality.  Outing individuals with  problems
serves no good purpose.  Hiding the problem obstructs  resolution.

We've some NHB and Almond Board funds to look at CCD.  Can't get  all around
the U.S., but we can pick and choose some operations to  sample.  We will look
at a broad screening for virus, and we will be  looking at in-hive chemicals.

To all Bee-L readers - if you depend on your bees for your primary income
and have been in the business for several years or more, and are having a
problem with bees abandoning hives, please contact us.

Jerry

J.J. Bromenshenk
Bee Alert Technology, Inc.
1620 Rodgers St, Suite 1
Missoula, MT  59802

406-541-3160 (business phone)

P.S.  Hope to see some of you at the Alabama bee meetings this  week.