From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 12:52:29 -0800
Hi to all on BEE-l

Allen Dick wrote of conversation between me and Peter:
> I was referring to the connection that Dee Lusby herself
made in the
> exchange which follows.

<snip>

> >Peter wrote:
> >  The workers do not pass on any characteristics to
their
> >children, as they have none[no children]. The queen
acquires no traits
> >from the workers as they are not her parents.

> >Dee's Reply:
> >In a way they do. Workers pass on characteristics by way
of
> >laying workers that produce both drones or workers, of
> >which if workers are produced they certainly can become
> >queens.

You are right.  It appears that Dee is involving thelytoky
in the upsizing(and downsizing?) question.

Whether or not we end up agreeing with her, she certainly
can put us through some heavy lifting mentally,

Reply:
Yes I AM involving thelytoky in the upsizing and downsizing
question.

Peter's prior sentence was: My main point is that European
bees have not been altered by this.While it is true that
bees can be made slightly larger and considerably smaller
by being raised in different sized sells, I do not believe
that this trait is acauired by this process. The workers do
not pass on any characteristics to their children......

See above for the rest of what Peter said and I then
replied to.

Now also left out was my second paragraph I said:
In a way they do.....(see above).....Then I said also: The
queen acquires exact traits from the workers as she is an
exact copy, as no queen can be raised except she be forn a
worker first and then choosen by same to be changed into a
queen as they (the workers) construct queen cells.

So yes indeed I am involving thelytoky in the upsizing and
downsizing question, because the bees themselves do change
relative to sizing which includes the trait of thelytoky.

Now let's get something else going which I said above.

Just as we beekeepers choose and mate queens for our usage
for productivity and proliferation and survivalability
thinking ourselves breeders, the workers of our hives our
the true breeders of the queens in the hives and the queens
serve the workers by being selectees for what they need.
this includes productivity, proliferation, survivalability,
and acclimitizing to ones surroundings. The queen does not
choose the workers, the workers choose the queen. Further
by choosing the queen the the workers choose the drones in
their area also!!

Regards,

Dee A. Lusby