From:
bob harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 03:51:53 -0600
John,
I after 172 posts you can't make up your mind about organic or synthetic
i am not sure my input will help. I don't want to repeat facts allready
stated in Bee-L so here are a couple facts from Encyclopedia Britanica.
Formic acid occurs naturally in animal secretions and muscle.
It may be prepared synthetically by the oxidation of methyl alcohol and
of formaldehyde. Formic acid is employed in the dyeing and tannin
industries.
As with all things in life a small amount is ok but a large amount could
be bad for you.
One of the largest class action lawsuits in U.S. was against a tannery
and its use of formic acid. Basis for John Travolta  movie and i believe
the movie name is Civil Action but its a video stores and if you ask i
am sure they can help.
We all agree that the formic acid used to rid our hives of mites in
dangerous. My opinion is Formic acid if applied correctly could be the
best answer to the mite problem now but i would like to see the
chemicals removed from our hives.
Formic acid is the chemical of choice by our bee experts. In the U.S. we
were to see the gell on the market last fall. Then this spring! Now next
fall! Whats the delay? I have heard many stories about label and package
problems but lets hear from the maker of apicure.
Bob
Bob