From:
Eric Abell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 1995 07:19:47 -0600
On Mon, 24 Apr 1995, Mick Youther wrote:

> I have the same problem as Kevin.  I live in southern Illinois but the weather
> has turned pretty cool.  My bees are at the Post Office and I will pick them
> up this afternoon.  It is supposed to get down to about 40 degrees Farenheit
> tonight with possible showers.  Is is also supposed to be cool this week.
> 50's-60's during the day and in the 40's at night.  Is it OK to hive the
> package or what.  These are my first bees...HELP!

I have not installed packages for a number of years but for many years I
used to scrape the snow off of the field to make a space for the hives.
I would hesitate to shake the bees onto cold frames but after they are
organized I don't believe a few nights of 40 degrees will harm them.
They are better off in the hive than in your kitchen in most cases.

By the way, I am in central Alberta - last night 1 degree of frost.

Eric Abell                           email: [log in to unmask]
Gibbons, AB, T0A 1N0
Canada
(403) 998 3143