From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2007 08:59:46 -0600
Hello All,
I might add that most commercial beekeepers try to keep at least one bakery
account. Mine is dependable. Somewhat picky at times.
A few years ago they turned down some heartsease tainted honey I had
purchased for their market.
I hate to run white honey through the bakery outlet but have at times.
About a year ago they said to reduce cost they were going to use some HFCS.
I am sure they did as they reduced the amount of honey they were buying. I
have yet to see HFCS on their label which is really none of my business but
I have looked.
The trend to increase HFCS in place of honey in cooking is on the rise.
I am looking at a box of Sun Grams " Honey Grahams". The label lists honey
towards the last (right after HFCS) which tells me there is a higher amount
of HFCS in the product than honey.
However on the front of the box is the picture of a jar of honey and honey
dripping off a honey dipper.  Also "Honey" in the name . I guess "High
Fructose Corn Syrup Grahams" would not be a big selling point!
I am a label reader when buying my groceries. I would guess (from personal
observation) less than 10% of shoppers read ingredient labels. The print is
simply too small. Label changes and programs to teach consumers the way to
read and understand ingredient labels would be a step in the right direction
(in my opinion) to improve truth in labels by having consumers put pressure
on government to improve labels.
Ingredients information needs to be the same size as nutrition information
on
labels!

bob

--
believed to be clean.

* Full guidelines for BEE-L posting are at:                                       *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm                               *