Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2007 17:37:37 GMT
>>I often see lots of different colored pollen loads <...> leading me to believe the bees are pretty consistent in staying with the same type nectar source even with many different  pollens in the honey.

I started pollen trapping with one hive several weeks ago and I am seeing interesting changes in the pollen loads over time.  It's been very dry with only a couple of really rainy days in this period.

At first, the pollen loads were mostly gray (I assume from Japanese knotweed) and orange (I assume from goldenrod).  The daily amounts were about the same with a slight downward trend.  As the weather continued to be dry, the load sizes themselves got smaller.

Then we got a nice rainy day.  The grey pollen almost stopped and large yellow loads became dominant, especially in the afternoons.  The daily amounts increased by up 25%, too.  As it got drier the loads reverted back to what they were during the previous dry spell.

I can't be sure but I am guessing that goldenrod pollen loads are orange during the dry spell and turn yellow (and abundant) when the plants get extra moisture.

One can learn a lot from a pollen trap. :)

Waldemar