From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Oct 2007 06:45:21 -0400
Chris Slade wrote:
> Beekind and mankind have differing ambitions: theirs is to survive and
> reproduce; ours is maximisation of profits (greatest reduction of loss).   It is
> where these different interests overlap rather than compete that the bee
> breeder should concentrate his efforts.

I am at a loss to see where the beekeeper's (mankind) "ambition" for the
bee differers from the bee's "to survive and reproduce". It seems they
mesh.Otherwise why all the talk on this list about combating Varroa and
other diseases to help the bee to survive and reproduce. Also seems to
fit with maximizing of profit by reducing loss.

The discussion is about bee breeding and the intent of that breeding
includes the survival of the bee as well as reproduction and a stable
population as a consequence. A very harmonious relationship with no
differing interests..

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine