From:
andrea young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 2010 20:39:37 -0400
Researching 'spittle' and honey, it appears that a) bees don't excrete
'spit' and b) honey is a product of enzyamatic interaction with nectar, i.e.
the bees release enzymes and the nectar is transformed into honey without
saliva at all.
This, then, would appear to be the same as putting something, for instance,
into a metal vessel and having it absorb minerals, or cooking something,
which changes enzymes and chemicals in the product.
I believe that 'unclean animals' refers historically to creatures which
carried diseases, such a pork and trichinosis, or shellfish and food
poisoning.  There were real, day to day reasons for these rules. They
weren't just arbitrary religious edicts.
Also, it appears that Jews as far back as Abraham found honey to be a
coveted part of their diet, and I have some vague recollection that the Old
Testament lauds it's healing and healthful properties, so perhaps the rabbi
can take a cue from the teachings of the Torah and rest assured that Yaweh
has probably not changed his mind in these many centuries.
And I don't know where the 1/60 number comes from, but I would be surprised
to learn that a people focused on basic subsistence would have come up with
that number....perhaps it is a new interpretation of older laws.
I would love to find out more as to how, when, and why that particular
designation came into being.
Strictly vegan orthodox Jews, or vegans in general, would of course never
eat honey.
 :)

--
"When the well runs dry, we learn the worth of water" - Benjamin Franklin