From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 08:28:33 -0400
New this year (I believe) at Betterbee is an all plastic queen excluder that
(so far)
appears to blow away all others I have ever used.  My assessment is VERY
PRELIMINARY!
I am just trying these excluders out on the recommendation of Bob Stevers
(Betterbee
owner).  My VERY PRELIMINARY! assessment is based on the observation when I
initially
insatlled the first few of these new plastic excluders that the bees seemes
to just slip
right through them as if nothing was there!  They were coming through the
excluders
before I had a chance to put the supers back on the hive.  If they continue
to perform
as well, I'll be looking to get rid of a lot of metal excluders.

Added benefits: CHEAP! (less than $4, as little as $3 each in qualtity).
They're tough and
won't bend to allow queens through wires that have bent.  I am told they
will clean up
quite easily by putting them in the freezer and (once frozen) flexing them
to break off
wax and propolis.  No extra space between boxes as there is with wood bound
excluders.
Easier on the bees - the plastic is very smooth and does not tear at wings
or body (perhaps
this is why the bees go through them so readily).

Highly recommended!

Aaron Morris - hoping I'm not thinking prematurely.