From:
Jack Grimshaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 21:14:55 EDT
I have a question on demonstration hives that I'm looking for a little help
on.In 10 days I will be hosting a family reunion and having a number of hives
on my property,I'm anticipating many questions.I would like to set up a
demonstration hive of gentle bees for those who are interested.My problem is
that the main nectar flow is over,the fall flow has'nt quite started,the
weather is hot and dry and my bees are slightly defensive.I don't want to set
up a feeding station with 1:1 syrup as  I still have honey supers on.My
thoughts were to split one of my gentler hives,taking the queen,some
brood,honey and pollen,install a feeder with 1:1 syrup,and move this about 50
ft.away from the other hives.I would leave at the original location the rest
of the brood and the honey supers.My reasoning is that by shrinking the brood
nest, the queen would be easier to find and the more defensive field bees
would  return to the old location.I would combine the two later,maybe with
help from the audience if they were interested.Will this work and/or what
else should  I be considering.

           Thanks,Jack