From:
Bob Unger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 May 1999 18:59:09 -0700
I am new to this and recently installed my first two packages of bees.
One package had a very large number of dead bees (compared to the
other), but the queen was alive.  A week after installing (and feeding)
the better package was doing fine.  The stressed package seemed ok and
I believe the queen started laying.  I next checked the hive 2 weeks
later and could not find the queen, but I thought there was capped
brood, but I couldn't find young brood.  I looked again a few more days
later, and moved over a frame of brood, with eggs from the stronger
hive.  A week later I have queencells in this hive.

My question: Should I immediately purchase a new queen or wait for one
to emerge in about 2 more weeks ??

Also, I want to purchase a comprehensive book and have been thinking
about either "The Hive and the Honeybee" or "The ABC and XYZ of
Beeculture".  Any recommendations between the two?  Or is some other
book comprehensive?