From:
Mike Griggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 May 2008 20:54:41 -0400
Because of a couple of recent contributions I received an update to
the Mann Library digitization project for the first volumes of ABJ
1861-1900 from the Director of the LIbrary.

Because of Beekeeper contributions we are at 3/4 of the way to the
$3000 mark needed to cover the full cost of this scanning/preservation
effort.  The time consuming process of prepping the first 40 volumes
of ABJ is complete (because of the efficiency of bundling more for a
single shipment they added an extra 20 volumes).  They are shipping
all forty volumes after completing the contract with the vendor.  This
means that we (beek's) get double for half the cost.

Once the files are returned, scanned & in digital format, to the
library in June (hopefully).  It will take the library a month or two
to get the materials reworked for viewing.  They also plan on
reworking the layout of "The Hive and the Honey Bee"  for improved
navigation of the site to accommodate a user friendly search of
volumes,  the journals & monographs.     So by summers end there
should be a great increase in the amount & availability of these
materials to beekeepers worldwide.

The library staff has been wonderful at accommodating our efforts and
beekeepers have been very generous.  The outcome has been the largest
digitization project of beekeeping literature on the WWW.

Your contributions toward this effort are greatly appreciated by all
beekeepers present and future.

Mike Griggs
President Finger Lakes Beekeepers