From:
Tim Townsend <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 1997 22:50:07 -0700
Alan Norris wrote:

> I have just purchased some plastic frames with plastic foundation in them and was told that they will need coating with wax.
>
> I have tried painting hot beeswax on with a brush but it was not very successful, the wax sets as soon as it touches the plasic foudation.
>
> Is it really necessary to coat plastic foundation, if so any suggestions on how to do it.
>
> Thanks
> Alan Norris
Alan;
  It is quite difficult to coat the plastic foundation with wax, at the
factory a hot wax spray is used to coat them. It isn't really required
that they be coated with wax, the waxed frames work better, but the
unwaxed ones still work, just a little slower as there is nothing to
attract the bees to it. Bare plastic has no smell, at least no smell
that would interest the bees.
  Some people dilute some honey in hot water and spray it on the frames,
to give them an attractive aroma. Best applied just before putting the
frames on the hives. Others have used sugar syrup. Some other people
have melted beeswax in a tub of water large enough to submerse the
frames into, the idea being that if there is a thin layer of molten
beeswax on top of the water, immersing the frames will impart a thin
coat of wax to them. Just be sure not to leave the frames in the hot
water too long, as heat and plastic creat some strange combinations.
There are alot of inventive ways of doing it, but they are not as good
as the factory applied wax.
   Don't despair, your frames will still work uncoated, it will just
take a little longer.
   Best of luck.
Tim Townsend
TPLR HONEY FARMS / PIERCO CANADA