From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Sep 2007 06:54:36 -0400
randy oliver wrote:

> Note the explanatory regression for CCD prediction:
> IAPV (96%), KBV (65%), N apis (73%), N ceranae (63%)
> Total 88.2% explanatory power!
> Note that *all* samples positive for IAPV contained KBV--could there
> be a synergy?
> Note that N apis, which is becoming uncommon, had slightly higher
> score than N ceranae!  Surprise!
>
> That said, the Army/Bromshenk data do not support the universality of
> IAPV in CCD colonies.
I agree that there definitely could be a synergy, but KBV may be a
larger factor than IAPV. The problem is that other things can cause CCD
like symptoms, so it could be KBV that is the larger factor, especially
after Jim's analysis.

 From what has been seen so far, it appears that Jerry is looking at CCD
and the team is looking at virus and mites. The actions of bees under a
high Varroa/Tracheal and virus load are like CCD. Plus, it appears that
the bees are mostly eastern US, where, in my opinion, the sources are
suspect.

There is a big difference between experienced field people who see bees
from a variety of sources and locations, and lab bound people who see
them mostly under a microscope. Some in the lab will even agree with that.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine