From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 2009 20:14:10 -0500
>  You see, we are in a bit of an EFB mess here in E Scotland.  We don't
> even know yet quite how far that mess has gone.

Without being able to treat with an antibiotic (which easily clears up the
problem) I would agree.

 >Several large (for us) operations badly affected over a large area,
thinking it was parasitic mite syndrome due to the failing efficacy of their
favourite treatments (that's an old story), and we haven't a clue how much
is in the amateur sector.

I have  warned on BEE=L for along time that EFB can easily be mistaken for
PMS. Of course when you control varroa you do not see PMS. The test kit
Dadant sells is the easy way to be sure what you are looking at.

I think I can tell the difference by looking but to the untrained eye  both
can appear similar. EFB in my opinion covers more area and is more uniform
and PMS is a bit spotty but cases can vary.

 I actually have looked at far more frames of PMS than EFB which is rare in
U.S. commercial operations or at least in my area..

Most EFB I have seen has been in hobby beekeepers hives. For decades
commercial beekeepers treated for AFB & EFB yearly. When terramycin  use was
dropped some EFB appeared as tylosin was not effective against EFB. Some
U.S. beeks did as those in Scotland and thought the EFB was PMS. Mainly
because they had maybe never seen EFB before due to always treating with
terramycin

bob