From:
Barry Sergeant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 11:33:55 -0400
As a queen breeder, I'm often rotating comb out of hives for temporary
storage. These combs are stored outside in deep supers, on a
concrete slab. The combs often contain amounts of honey, pollen and
even brood.

I use several biological (and zero-cost) methods to control wax moth.
First, ants, which strip most things out of the comb, but leave comb
perfect. These are small, black "sugar" ants. Second, I ensure hiding
places for lizards (about seven inches long), spiders, frogs and toads.
The storage area is lit at night. Third, insectivorous birds, which visit
the storage area.

This system eliminates wax moth and hive beetle infestation of comb.
The only upkeep required is for the ants, which can be thrown some
kitchen refuse, empty honey pails, and so on.

Barry Sergeant
Kyalami, South Africa