From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2007 09:59:01 -0400
There have been a lot of exchanges on this topic bantered about the past
few months, some barbed, some more subtle.

I am certainly not well versed in the rules of the game as played in DC.
Neither have I closely followed the "Pollinator Protection Act of 2007"
as it evolved from what it was in April to what it is today, to add to
an informed discussion.  I remember being thrilled that congress
critters were considering dollars for CCD research, I was surprised when
the Act brought in native pollinators, but figured that's how things are
done in DC, and I am disappointed that to date no money has been
forthcoming for anyone.

I am also disappointed with the discussion regarding said act as it has
been playing out on BEE-L.  I am appreciative of the lessons of the
rules of the game as have been explained, and I appreciate the
viewpoints of the various camps (Apis vs. native pollinators), but the
tone of the discussion bothers me.  It seems to me to be counter
productive to have the Act perceived as an issue of "us and them".  Like
it or hate it, the act has become what it has become.  The players in DC
(congress critters, lobyists, grass root folks representing different
points of view and interest) have played the game by the rules by which
the game is played.  Bemaoning the outcome and belittling the players is
crying over being out finessed on the playing field.  One may not like
being out finessed, but too bad, one was out finessed.  We need to make
the best of the result.

If there is a way to have the needs of the Apis camp divested of the Act
as it currently exists, let's hear it!  If there is not, no amount of
vilification of the players who out finessed we beekeepers will be
productive.  And continued discussion along that vein only serves to
drag BEE-L into the gutter.  That is the only dog I have in this fight.
Keeping BEE-L a place for discussion, it is not a place for fights.

Aaron Morris - thinking I need a bigger dog!