From:
Malcolm Roe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 1995 09:24:46 +0000
I know about the affects of temperature (both high and low) on honey
crystallization but that doesn't seem to explain the following strange
observation.

I've recently returned from a trip to N. America.  I took a jar of honey
with me that I ultimately gave to some relatives who live in Canada.
When I set off from home the honey was liquid.  When I handed it over
about two weeks later it had crystallized from top to bottom.  In the
meantime it had been subjected to three plane flights (London UK to
Vancouver BC, Vancouver to Portleand Oregon and Boise Idaho to Seattle)
and a couple of thousand miles of surface transport (car, bus and
train).  For about a week I was visiting places above 6000 ft and part
of the time was over 8000 ft.  When I got home again the rest of the
batch, bottled at the same time from the same bulk honey container, was
still liquid (although a few small crystals could be seen at the bottom
of the jars by using back lighting.)

I discount temperature.  Modern aircraft holds are, I believe, heated
and, in addition, the weather was mild and, even when travelling, my
luggage was taken indoors every night.  The only other factors I can
think of are vibration and air pressure.  (There was no sign of the jar
leaking honey.)  Has anyone else observed this effect?

--
Malcolm Roe                                Phone  :  +44 1442 345104
Crosfield Electronics Ltd                  Fax    :  +44 1442 343000