From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Dec 2003 05:06:36 -0700
> It is, therefore, essential to reduce varroa numbers before winter
> bees are reduced - in the UK this means treating as soon as the crop
> is removed in early august.  This is easily done with thymol
> crystals, which are very cheap (32p per colony for 4 x weekly
> treatments) and give good results at that time.

This is a good point.  I was curious, so visited your website, and found
http://www.stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk/PENotes/VarroaTreatment.htm
(hope that long URL does not wrap)

---
"Thymol crystals are placed in an old honey jar lid placed on the queen
excluder directly over the brood; supers will - just - fit over the lid to
allow the colony space. The dose used is 8g (approximately 1 teaspoonful)
per week for four weeks and is applied in March - April, before the flow
starts and during August immediately after the main crop is removed. Cost is
approximately 45p per four week treatment.

Thymol is a relatively safe substance to handle with gloves (
http://ptcl.chem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/TH/thymol.html ), but is very pungent and
therefore best kept out of the house. "
---

That 45p converts to 80c US, if my conversion works correctly, twice a year
in your locale, for a total of $US1.60 annually.  Pence are 100 per pound,
now, are they not?  That puts it right in the same price ballpark as my
single strip of Apistan, used in early spring, although it might be a little
less tidy.

I'm wondering about the food safety aspect of thymol, which, from the sheet
referenced seems to be a purified chemical, rather than a spice.  I
understand that thymol can taint honey if used at the wrong time of year,
and am also wondering how it is percieved by the authorities who classify
food additives.

I realise we may have discussed this latter aspect a few years ago, but,
since then, a lot may have changed.  We have a lot more experience, and the
rules may have shifted or solidified in some jurisdictions.  Whereas I
understand benzaldehyde to be a food additive, also called artificial oil of
almonds, I also understand that some important importing countries will
reject honey if benzaldehyde is detected in *any* amount, whatsoever.  Is
this true of thymol?  Often the small beekeeper has little concern about
such details, but larger beekeepers and packers must always be very aware of
increasingly stringent testing and regulation.

This is another very interesting option, and the fact that it seems to work
so well for you is encouraging.  I'd be curious in what quantities and at
what purity you are obtaining your supplies and the regulatory opinion, if
any, in your district and markets.

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/