From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Sep 1998 12:36:34 -0400
Lisa K asked what length and size screws or nails, and how many, should be
used to attach handles to hives.

Lisa, I will give you the specifics as well as some general rules that will
apply to similar situations.

Screws and nails should be thought of as clamps.  They are nothing more.
Almost without exception they should be used with glue (adhesive) in
situations where it is important that the materials hold together well.  The
only real exception is in situations where one needs to be able to take the
materials apart again.  Today I almost exclusively use screws as the battery
operated drills make screws much faster and easier to use.

The rule of thumb is that the nail or screw should reach at least > of the
way through the last of the materials being joined.  If one were attaching a
1 = inch handle to a > inch beehive (total of 2 < inches), and working from
the handle in (because that is easiest), I d use nails or screws that were 2
inches long.  Screws come in various diameters, and I use size 6 to reduce
or eliminate splitting.  I also use coated deck screws.  Deck screws have a
special thread and are coated.  Both make them much easier and faster to
drive than regular screws, and the coating also prevents rust.

The screws, as clamps, do nothing more than hold the two pieces of wood
together long enough for the adhesive to cure (harden).  Accordingly, two
are plenty.  Put each into the handle at least 1  from the handle end, to
reduce splitting.  If, for some reason, you have to go near the end of the
handle, drill a starter hole first.  Otherwise you might split the wood.
Before screwing the two together, put a very light coat of adhesive on both
the hive and the handle.  I use a brand name  TiteBond , but any waterproof
adhesive made for use with wood is fine.  Ask at your Home Depot or hardware
store.

Today s adhesives make a bond that is stronger than the original wood!
Technically, after a week or so, you could remove the screws and the handle
would never come off.  However, I d leave the screws in so there is no entry
for fungus.   Technically, the handles should be attached before the hives
are painted.  However, yours are painted so just apply the handles as is and
I am sure they will attach firmly.

Good luck
Lloyd
Owner, Ross Rounds   the finest in comb honey production.