Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 2010 06:45:32 -0700
?This is an interesting story.  When I think about it, I have to wonder
about the details and significance, so if I wonder if you would mind filling
us in with a bit more history and context?

> I have a line of survivor bees which were a cut-out from a tree in 2000
> and they have never been treated any chemical.

I'd be interested in any non-chemical or management treatments used besides
splitting the hives which is a varroa control. (And one which did not work
for me this year)

> Except for an unusual wet or dry Spring and early Summer, each colony will
> produce an average of 150 pounds of honey.

Is that calculated on the total number of stands each summer or the number
of mature, producing colonies?  The number given is a very round number,
being exactly halfway between 100 and 200 and ending in "50", so I have to
wonder how it is measured and calculated. or if it is a "guestimate".

> Of the 10 colonies, I very seldom lose a colony or have to requeen them.

How do you requeen them or obtain queens for splits (or do they simply
swarm?)?

What other bees are nearby?

> I have 10 colonies of this line of bees, each with about 100 pounds of
> honey stores.

Could you explain how you got to 10 from the original one?

Do you feed?

I took a look at the McAlester, OK area to see what sort of terrain
surrounds it and am puzzled by what I see.  There appears to be lots of bush
and what appear to be irregular fields.  I'm wondering what sort of bee
pasture is in the area and if there is much beekeeping locally.

Thanks.

Curious minds need to know.