From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2017 06:37:08 -0800

> Having a free choice between pollen and carbohydrate is an interesting way
> to put it. I've been thinking that it's not a choice but rather the balance
> is driven biologically by their life stage.

The only life stage that does not have a free choice are the larvae.  Every
adult bee in the hive can choose the proportion of pollen to carbs that it
ingests (assuming that each are available).

With nurse bees consuming the majority of the pollen and foragers basically
> on a carbohydrate diet with some pollen consumption for cell maintenance.

There is no evidence that I am aware of that a forager is able to obtain
nutrients from pollen.  Pollen grains pass rapidly through their midguts
undigested.

  Is that the balance you are talking about?

Nope.  That's the critical difference in cage trials--whether the bees are
free to choose between separatr protein and carb components, or rather
forced to eat a preformulated mixture.

> When you feed in the fall do you feed both protein and syrup?

It depends upon whether nectar is coming in or not.   We don't do anything
by "rule."  Rather, we pay attention to what the colony actually needs.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA