From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 10:03:04 -0800
curtis spacek wrote, in part:

> This problem involving the use of apistan strips vs. mavrick in the USA
> is certianly due to the producers of apistan having considerably more
> influence (i.e. larger campaign contributions) than the producers of
> mavrick.As apparent evidence consider the speed and ferocity of the
> Texas government to silence one individual for merely discussing the use
> of mavrick while crop dusters and farmers apply pesticides during bloom
> phases routinely against label instructions with no action what so ever
> taken by the government.from information read at this site it would be a
> very simple task to
> produce an apistan strip if the label on the mavrick bottle listed the
> proper dosage.the active ingredient is the same but then apistan
> couldn't make such a rediculous profit.BUT since the ONLY supplier is
> also the ONLY LICENSED DISTRIBUTOR they enjoy a very enviable position
> in the market place.SO how much do you think a "sole distributorship"
> would cost.

To get EPA and FDA approval for a product costs money. One million US is not
out of line. Why go through all the hoops to produce it for a small market?
And when you do, you have to recoup those expenses, so the product is
expensive. Look at Fumidil-B. If you have a large market, those costs can be
spread out and the product is cheaper. The market at work.
Even if a pesticide is used on other crops or animals, the company has to go
through all the costs of registering for the new crop or animal. And the EPA
is a bear to work with.
As far as MAVRIK goes, my bet is that even though Apistan is being blamed
for resistance, it is really MAVRIK mis-use. The way  the Texas beekeeper,
who seems now to be a folk hero, recommended would kill the mites but would
also lead more quickly to resistant mites. I also understand that MAVRIK has
additives to allow it to go into solution so it can be used  as a spray.
Since it is designed to go into solution,  it will probably show up in honey
in the near future. If it does, then who is the hero?
Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME