From:
Sam Comfort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2010 22:08:54 -0400
Hi Aaron, I have to speak up here.  You're ranting against the ranters.  All ranting is related.  You're becoming your own enemy, without any waking up from the bad dream or piece of pie at the end.

I don't like the unrealistic romance of farming either - especially applied to beekeeping; such as the question from outsiders "How much work could it really bee?"

I learned how to keep bees in pollination.  I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.  All the people are really great and helpful and amazing beekeepers, but I'm sure glad that I don't have to keep bees the way they do.  How not?  It's Beyond Bees.  Stop Looking for answers and start Beeing. - wow that is a good one.

Local food.  The Masses will be rearranged and gardens will flourish.  Local ag can feed a lot of people without such energy needs, including carting in pollinators.  Beekeeping 100 years from now will not look like this.  We won't have the energy.  Really, I just think we and the bees won't be able to stand it anymore.

These changes could be made relatively quickly, and we'll all agree on and share everything to better the world for the young brood emerging.  A smooth transition (rather than the imminent crash).  Rainbows in the sky and stuff.  That's about as optimistic as I can get after a year of rain.

What bees need more than anything is good clean forage, not artificial protein.  They are what they eat.  This is why I stopped stressing bee diet by doing pollination, not because I was mad at the boss for what he had to do to get his bees through it.

I have a long rant that commercial beekeepers are not the enemy, and the public should not blame them.  But just as much, commercial beekeepers can't blame pesticide companies when it's the general public that chooses to use them.  I won't blame the general public, because anarchy doesn't tell others what to do or not do.  I blame the whole system.  Pull the plug.

I will, for one positive thing, introduce myself and say that I'm not scared into using chemicals.  When I stopped treating bees I stopped being scared that all of them would die.  Maybe they would have, but they didn't.  Any beekeeper who isn't interested in supporting local, diverse, organic-method and low-input ag is not protecting their bees' future in my eyes.  The bees are just the vehicle.

And to say one more thing for it: we do throw great farm parties.

What article are you referring to?  I don't regret you posting.  I agree with everything you say, but you are ranting- taking away rather than providing.  It will bee ok- maybe we'll get some tomatos this year in NY.

-sam

anarchy apiaries

swarm the state